The BAB was a great success! We managed to brew ~20 gallons of beer and that wort is happily fermenting away. We brewed a pale, yellow, fizzy beer with high wetness factor that should go well with heat, humidity, and bbq. We split the 20 gallons 4 ways with Peed taking 10 gallons and Daniel taking the other 10 gallons.
Batch 1) Normal Lager Fermentation Profile, WLP940
Batch 2) Fast Lager Fermentation Profile, WLP940
Batch 3) Normal Lager Fermentation Profile, WLP840
Batch 4) Normal Lager Fermentation Profile, WLP860
Some stats on the system. Measuring volumes was very spotty but I calculated that we hit a mash efficiency of 85%. My preboil volume and gravity were both above calculated values. The boil was quite anemic so I didn’t boil off nearly as much volume as I expected. This put us at 1.041 SG (v. 1.040 calculated). We left nearly 2 gallons of wort in the kettle as far as I could tell. If I had to do it again I would pump out of the kettle, not use gravity.
OG: 1.040 FG: 1.008 Pale Malt, 2-Row (Rahr) (1.8 SRM) 27.0 % Pale Malt, 6-Row (Rahr) (2.3 SRM) 27.0 % Pilsner Malt (Avangard) (1.7 SRM) 27.0 % Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) 15.0 % Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM)4.0 %
Mash@ 148 x 90min
1oz Crystal [3.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min 4.2 IBUs 1oz Mt. Hood [5.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min 5.9 IBUs 1oz Liberty [3.90 %] - Boil 30.0 min 2.3 IBUs 1oz Liberty [3.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min 0.8 IBUs 1oz Crystal [3.60 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 0.9 IBUs